Medicinal Chemistry for Pharmacy Students

Volume: 2

Medicinal Chemistry of Drugs Affecting the Nervous System

The primary objective of this 4-volume book series is to educate PharmD students on the subject of medicinal chemistry. The book set serves as a reference guide to pharmacists on aspects of the ...
[view complete introduction]

US $
30

*(Excluding Mailing and Handling)

General and Local Anesthetic Agents

Pp. 300-320 (21)

Carolyn J. Friel

Abstract

This chapter is a comprehensive account of the medicinal chemistry of general and local anesthetic drugs. It provides the mechanism of drug action and details about structure-activity relationships of these drugs for pharmacists. After the study of this chapter, students will be able to:

• Select appropriate intravenous general anesthetic therapy based on patient-specific contraindications regarding cardiac and septic status.

• Evaluate inhaled general anesthetics about therapeutic regimens based on individual patient characteristics and medical procedures.

• Compare and contrast the potency, onset of action, and recovery time of the inhaled anesthetic based on MAC, blood: gas partition coefficients and oil:gas partition coefficients.

• Identify chemical metabolites of the inhaled anesthetics that increase the risk of nephron and hepatotoxicity.

• Identify the chemical classification to which a local anesthetic belongs based on drug structure.

• Select an appropriate local anesthetic for a patient with a specific allergy to PABA.

• Communicate the chemical rationale for local anesthetic buffering to health professionals.

Keywords:

Drug-Receptor Interaction, General Anesthetics, Injectable Anesthetics, Inhaled Anesthetics, Local Anesthetics, Structure-Activity Relationship, The Clinical Use of Anesthetic Drugs.

Affiliation:

School of Pharmacy, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Worcester, MA, USA.