Medicinal Chemistry for Pharmacy Students

Volume: 2

Medicinal Chemistry of Drugs Affecting the Nervous System

The primary objective of this 4-volume book series is to educate PharmD students on the subject of medicinal chemistry. The book set serves as a reference guide to pharmacists on aspects of the ...
[view complete introduction]

US $
30

*(Excluding Mailing and Handling)

Phenothiazines and Related Antipsychotic Drugs

Pp. 109-162 (54)

Mamoon Rashid, Mehbuba Rahman and M. O. Faruk Khan

Abstract

This chapter is a comprehensive account of the medicinal chemistry of antipsychotic drugs. It provides the mechanism of drug action and detail structureactivity relationships of the first- and second-generation antipsychotic and related drugs to give the knowledge base for pharmacists. Upon completion of this chapter, students will be able to:

• Describe the historical background about the development of antipsychotic therapeutics.

• Apply the principles of fundamental pathophysiology of schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders and receptors associated with it to their pharmacological action.

• Recognize the dopamine and its chemical analogues and identify the essential structural features to become an antipsychotic agent.

• Differentiate between the positive and negative symptoms and extrapyramidal side effects and distinguish between the typical and atypical classes of antipsychotics.

• Apply the principles of structure-activity relationships to the antipsychotic drugs.

• Delineate the clinical significance of all classes of antipsychotic drugs and their therapeutic indications.

• Identify the therapeutic use, side effects and metabolic pathways of selected first- and second-generation antipsychotic agents.

Keywords:

Antipsychotic Drugs, Antianxiety Drugs, Drug-Receptor Interaction, Dopamine, First-Generation Antipsychotics, Structure-Activity Relationship, Second-Generation Antipsychotics, Typical And Atypical Antipsychotic Agents.

Affiliation:

School of Pharmacy, University of Charleston, Charleston, WV 25304, USA.