Review of Bioorganic Chemistry
Pp. 13-75 (63)
M. O. Faruk Khan and Ashim Malhotra
This chapter is a brief review of the important organic functional groups and
biomolecules. After study of this chapter, students will be able to:
• Identify important organic functional groups in any drug structure
• Identify major biomolecules: proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, nucleic acids
• Apply chemical principles in all four classes of biomolecules
• Define monomer units of the biomolecules and their chemical properties
• Evaluate the structures of important heterocycles occurring in drugs and biomolecules
• Summarize the significance of of biomolecules
Biomolecules, Carbohydrates, Eicosanoids, Fats, Functional groups,
Nucleic acids, Proteins.
Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, California Northstate University, Elk Grove, CA, USA.