Local Anesthesia and Extractions for Dental Students: Simple Notes and Guidelines

This textbook presents basic principles of local anesthesia and exodontia for undergraduate dental program students and dental surgeons in training. Readers will understand key concepts and points ...
[view complete introduction]

US $
15

*(Excluding Mailing and Handling)

Physiology of Pain

Pp. 25-50 (26)

Esam Ahmad Z Omar

Abstract

In this chapter, the mechanism of pain, pain pathway from Oro-facial area and the physiological principle of pain have been discussed in detail. In order to understand the mode of action of local anesthesia, it is essential to understand the pain physiology. This chapter contains the essential details of pain physiology that may be needed for an understanding of the mechanism of local anesthesia. The endogenous analgesic system is an important modulator part for pain intensity and a major contributor to pain gate theory, all that has been discussed in a concise and precise way to give the complex information in a simple way to understand and remember.

Keywords:

Endogenous pain killer system, Impulse generation, Pain fibers, Pain pathway, Pain physiology, Principle of pharmacology for pain management.

Affiliation:

Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Dentistry, Taibah University, Madinah, Saudi Arabia.