Medicinal Chemistry for Pharmacy Students

Fundamentals of Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Metabolism

The primary objective of this 4-volume book series is to educate PharmD students on the subject of medicinal chemistry. The book set serves as a reference guide to pharmacists on aspects of chemical ...
[view complete introduction]

US $
30

*(Excluding Mailing and Handling)

Biosynthetic Pathways Frequently Targeted by Pharmaceutical Intervention

Pp. 281-323 (43)

Jason L. Johnson and M. O. Faruk Khan

Abstract

This chapter provides a brief review of the important biosynthetic pathways frequently targeted by pharmaceutical interventions. The biosynthetic pathways discussed in this chapter include: eicosanoid biosynthesis (prostaglandins, prostacyclins and leukotrienes), epinephrine and norepinephrine biosynthesis, folic acid biosynthesis, steroid biosynthesis (cholesterol, adrenocorticoids and sex hormones) and nucleic acid biosynthesis (purines and pyrimidines anabolism, catabolism and salvages). After studying this chapter, students will be able to: • Highlight important biosynthetic pathways frequently targeted by pharmaceutical interventions • Explain detail chemical steps of each of the biosynthetic pathways • Apply the chemical principles in the regulations of each of the pathways and relevant mechanisms of drug action • Define the monomer units of the biomolecules and their chemical properties • Comprehend the significance of biosynthetic pathways in different diseased states

Keywords:

Biosynthetic pathways, Eicosanoid, Norepinephrine, Folic acid, Steroids, Nucleic acids, Regulations of biosynthesis.

Affiliation:

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, Marshall University School of Pharmacy, Huntington, WV, USA.