Medicinal Chemistry for Pharmacy Students

Fundamentals of Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Metabolism

The primary objective of this 4-volume book series is to educate PharmD students on the subject of medicinal chemistry. The book set serves as a reference guide to pharmacists on aspects of chemical ...
[view complete introduction]

US $
30

*(Excluding Mailing and Handling)

Acid-base Chemistry and Salt Formation

Pp. 76-108 (33)

Hardeep Singh Saluja and M. O. Faruk Khan

Abstract

This chapter provides a brief review of the concepts of acid-base chemistry with its applications on drug molecules. It also highlights the significance of salt formations in pharmaceutical products. After studying this chapter, students will be able to: • Comprehend the Arrhenius, Brønstead-Lowry, and Lewis concepts of acids and bases. • Comprehend the ionization, factors controlling ionization, and the acids-base strengths. • Identify the acids and bases occurring in drug molecules and their significance. • Apply the concept of acid-conjugate base and base-conjugate acid in pharmacy. • Apply Henderson-Hasselbalch equation and in pharmacy and drug action and bioavailability. • Interpret pH partition theory and its significance in drug pharmacokinetics. • Illustrate the purpose of salt formation with drug molecules and the acidity or basicity of the salts.

Keywords:

Acids, Bases, Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, Ionization, Partition coefficient, pH partition theory, Salt formation, Solubility.

Affiliation:

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Southwestern Oklahoma State University, Weatherford, Oklahoma, USA.