It has been well recognized that hypertension in diabetes is a potent risk of micro- and macrovascular
complications. BP levels are most important component of BP management. Next to BP levels, other component such as
BP variability is also important. BP variability consists of several concepts :
1. Very Short term BP variability (beat-to-beat)
2. Short term BP variability (over the 24h)
3. Diurnal BP variation in diabetes
4. Long term BP variability (day-by-day)
5. Visit-to-Visit Variability (months ~ years)
Among these, abnormal circadian rhythm of BP belongs to short-term BP variability.
There have been a number of papers about BP variability in recent years. In this chapter, the significance of BP variability
in patients with diabetes will be reviewed.